Friday, January 21, 2011

Contentment, Craziness, and Betsy Bugs....

So I have this awesome connect group (home group) that meets at mine and Sarah’s house on Thursday evenings. Last night we were dissecting Romans 12 and a discussion was spurred that oddly enough had been on my heart earlier that day. I love when God does that, he’ll lay something on your heart and then… BAM! He high fives you in the face with it later!

We were talking about how in Romans 12 Paul names of the different parts of the body. He says “but all members do not have the same function”(12:4). The discussion came up about how God views each one of our callings as equal. Whether you are the one who is greeting people at the door on Sunday, or you are the one who is working the children’s ministry, or preaching, or scrubbing toilets. There is no calling that God views as greater than the other. Our job is to learn what God has called us to do at the stage of our life that we are in, do it with diligence, and become content with where we are.

Content: satisfied with what one is or has; not wanting more or anything else (Dictionary.com Unabridged
Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2011.
)

Not only do we find content in what our “ministry” is, but also in where we are in life.

I remember when I moved out on my own, I had a desire to find the woman that I would be spending the rest of my life with. I knew she was out there, I did, and I took it upon myself to find her. In the process I dated some, ran from a lot, and found some CRAZIES! (Crazy as a betsy bug! that’s what my mom would say…what does that mean?!). Needless to say I got frustrated.

I finally came to terms with where I was in life, what God had called me to do, and I relinquished control completely to Him. Long story short, when I finally became content with where God had me, I was set up on a blind date, engaged 5 months later, and married 5 months after that!

The deal is, God knows exactly what is going on in your life, and He has you where you are for a reason, He hasn’t forgotten you. We have to trust Him and know that He is completely in control. We must become content in our ministry, our job, our lives and know that when God is ready to move us He will.

Find comfort in where you are today, embrace it, do what you are doing to the best of your ability, and God will be worshipped and honored through it.

I've learned by now to be quite content whatever my circumstances. I'm just as happy with little as with much, with much as with little. I've found the recipe for being happy whether full or hungry, hands full or hands empty. Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am. Phil 4: 11b-13 The Message

Have you been frustrated with where you were in life, your ministry? What’s your story? Or do you know how crazy a betsy bug is? Chime in!



Free Template Blogger collection template Hot Deals BERITA_wongANteng SEO

1 comments:

mush said...

AWESOME post, Philip! I LOVE God's timing. The same thing happened to me this week to with the directions our discussions were going during Connect Group. He is AMAZING!! Can't wait to see what He has in store for all of us next week!

And I've never in my life heard of a Betsy Bug, please share if someone tells you what that is.

Post a Comment